Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Invitation: You Hike Along!

Hi Everyone;

I love to hike, and the Smokey Mountains are one of my favorite places to go and enjoy mountain trails. I also love retreat settings, where people can relax together and share their lives. So, I've decided to make a dream a reality.

I'm inviting you to join me this August for some day hikes in the mountains, and camping by a mountain stream. This is a simple trip and fairly low budget. Here are a few initial details:

I will leave after church on August 16, and arrive at the park that night--hopefully in time to set-up camp before dark. I'll head back home on Saturday late morning. (Note, two tents can share a site, so the cost of $20 per site per night can be pretty cheap.)

The campground has flush toilets, water, and a nice river roaring through it. I'll get some pics up. There are no showers, but in town there are places you can shower for 5 bucks...if you are a wimp.

We will spend time together talking around fires at night. The mountains are a little cooler than surrounding other local places, so the nights should be in the 60's or even high 50's. But should not get above 70 or so for sleeping.

We will hike during the days. I have some favorites picked out for us. The biggie will be Mt. LeConte and we will decide which approach trail and which descent trail we will use according to the ability of everyone. On a clear day, it has incredible vistas and will be very fun to hike together. (I've added some pics up for you to get the idea of the beauty of the places.) I also hope we can do the Chimney Tops (a short but intense climb with an incredible finish), Abram's falls, Andrew's bald, etc.

Next post I'll talk about equipment you will need. Rest assured there will be little you don't have now.

Sign on as a follower if you want. Comment about your interest. Or you can email me and I'll post your comments for you if you want. (Click on "E-Mail me.) Let's get some conversation going here.

Peace, and get ready for the mountains!!!

David Hayes

8 comments:

  1. I want, so badly, to go on this trip! I have a new job, so I need to figure it out. Not sure when I can take my "vaca" time. I hope I can work it out! If not, I'll see you next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's plan on doing this and talking about it either at your place (Smokey Mountains)or mine (Rocky Mountains) this next year. You know I'd be there if I was coming into Indiana to work. Looking forward already to the beginning of the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope it works out Jamie. I know of another who is in. And another couple who is planning on a few days of it. See what you can do.

    Mark, sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does the campsight have walk-in sites that are free from RV's? I like backpacking because you can get away from the posh campgrounds. At least with a walk-in site you get the illusion of seclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eric,

    Mixed answer here. Bad news, yes there are RV's around. Good news, it's not posh at all. I'm sure you've read the description above...no showers, etc. I camped by a river the sound of which drowned out any possible noise in the area. I'm hoping to go to the same area. NOW, come to think of it, there are other grounds there that might not allow RV's. Good point.

    I'll try to post a pic or two. The other option would be to do back-country camping, and hike out to meet us. You have to use designated sites in the park, but there are many...

    david

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi David,
    I didn't realize you were a man after my own interests. We have a women's group - great friends who manage to collect themselves together once a year in the Smokies. We go in November. I would love to join your group this summer, but we are on grandparent duty until school starts. of course we love it!
    maybe someday we can share our photos from our years of exploring the smoky mt.s
    anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne,
    Thanks for your note. We are always amazed at the new beauties we find in the Appalachians and especially in the Great Smokey Mountains. I've hiked there since I was twelve or so, and always enjoy some new aspect, trail or vista. Our children have grown up on these hikes.
    Let me know when photo-sharing day is, and we'll do it! (School starts before this hike, so...?)
    david

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily and Brian CraseJuly 1, 2009 at 11:02 AM

    It looks so amazing and we wish we could make it, but it just doesn't seem like it will work out this time. We sincerely hope you plan another trip sometime soon as we would very much enjoy hiking and camping in the Smokey Mts. I (Emily) have spent most of my time in the Rockies and the Smokey mountains provide such a different but still spectactular perspective (from my limited time spent there). Please let us know when you will be planning your next adventure because we will do everything we can to hike along!

    Emily & Brian

    ReplyDelete